Obsidian + GitHub private Repo solution on All platforms
I have heard that Obsidian is a powerful note-taking application that can serve as "your second brain." However, when I tried it previously, I did not find its user experience to be satisfactory. Nevertheless, I decided to give it another try. Although this solution is free, it spent me at least a few hours before I get it. TLDR; here's the steps:
- Create a private repository obsidian_notes on github.com to store your notes.
- Create a classic personal access token on github.com for the obsidian git plugin as it dosn't support the git protocol on Mobile devices.
- Install Obsidian and Obsidian Git plugin on every platform you want to use
- Install iSH application on your iPhone/iPad, and run the following command in the iSH shell
- apk add git
- adduser -h /home/david david (Surely you can choose your preferred name)
- su - david
- git clone https://github.com/yourUserName/yourNotesRepo.git (you will need the personal access token at this step)
- Open the Obsidian app on your iPhone/iPad, create a new Vault with any name. (no worries, we will remove it shortly)
- Open the Files app and find yourNotesRepo directory, copy it to the clipboard,
- Find your Obsidian directory which holds your newly created vault and paste yourNotesRepo directory here
- Remove the newly created vault directory
Yes. That's it. If you meet any problems when you follow my steps, feel free to leave a comment here, or contact me at https://t.me/shukebeta